Tuesday 8 March 2016

Sussex Perch Fishing 2015/16

A nice Perch just over 2lb's taken on a worm bait

I love catching Perch and have had plenty of 2lb fish over the years but a 3lb fish has so far eluded me. A 3lb'er is a serious fish and anything bigger the fish of a lifetime in my book. It's nice to have something to aim for in your fishing and the colder winter months see me regularly out targeting this most impressive of fish. Big Perch are truly a sight to behold and still hold as much appeal now as they ever have.

There are some very impressive Perch to be found in many of the commercial fisheries local to me. Having been stocked as the apex predator when many of these lakes were first dug, these fish are now reaching very impressive sizes with even the odd 4 and 5lb'ers a realistic target for those willing to put in the effort.

A fine looking perch from Passies Pond taken on maggots

There are host of venues worth a look at down in Sussex close to me such as Alderwood Ponds, Tanyards, Passies Ponds, Whitevane and Sumners Ponds to name a few. All can fish well for the Perch on their day.

This winter I have done a few sessions at both Alderwoods and Passies with mixed success so far. I have been experimenting with different baits and techniques. Using prawns, maggots and worm have all brought results on their day. I've also enjoyed using the drop-shot method of lure fishing. This has produced some good numbers of fish for me but nothing of any great size as yet......still, it keeps me nice and mobile on those colder days.

Best Perch of the winter so far at 2lb 10oz on a worm bait

The best fish I have managed so far this winter is 2lb 10oz and this came from Alderwoods on a lobworm fished over plenty of worm chop. There have been a few other 2's and plenty of smaller fish as well. Some very welcome Roach have put in an appearance with some going well over a pound and a half also. Nice fishing!

A fine roach taken on a maggot hook bait

So the quest for a 3lb Perch continues.......and I am enjoying every single moment of it which is exactly how I like my fishing to be. Unitl the next time.....Tight Lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment