Friday 23 June 2017

Dry Fly Fishing on the Hampshire Avon - June 2016













Traditional upstream dry fly fishing for trout on the Southern chalk streams is something that I have always fancied having a crack at.......and this year I finally got the chance.

Thanks to the lovely bunch at 'Wet Your Knot Fly Fishing' I received a last minute invitation to fill a place and join them on the 'Frank Sawyer' stretch of the Hampshire Avon. Fortunately for me it was slap bang in the middle of peak mayfly season too. Surely, even I would be able to catch?















Tackled up with a #5wt rod and line, box of mayflies and a tub of floatant...I was ready to go. It was one of those perfect fishing days...muggy, mild, overcast and with just a hint of a breeze. In the morning, I found the fishing a little tricky and the trout reluctant to rise to my offerings. A few small grayling graced my net and kept me entertained, but by our lunchtime break I was yet to find a trout.

After a relaxing lunch, I walked as far downstream as I could before entering the river and wading my way back up the beat. This proved to be a good call as I found some much nicer looking runs and pools. The mayfly and spinners had started to hatch in earnest by then as well and there were fish making splashy rises all over the river. It really was quite a sight to behold.

















From that moment, the fishing turned on and I had the most incredible time catching many trout until late in the afternoon. There really is nothing quite like it when a brown trout smashes your fly. It was a new experience for me and one I wanted to repeat over and over again. Fortunately, I was able to do exactly that. There were no monsters caught, but on the light tackle the feisty trout gave a fantastic account of themselves in the fast flowing water.















I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and can really understand how some can become totally addicted to this style of fishing. It's all about that hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment