Friday 23 June 2017

Sussex River Carp - July 2016















As a kid and right through into my 20's I loved my carp fishing in a big way. I got right into it, spending days at a time in a bivvy beside a large estate lake or gravel pit. These days I still like to fish for them occasionally but I go about it in a very different way.

I find the whole notion of 'River Carp' to be far more appealing. With their nomadic existence and the element of the unknown thrown into the mix I find them to be a worthy quarry. These fish don't have names, don't live on a diet of boilies and pellets and are far more muscular and streamlined than their still water brethren.

In the summer months, I like to walk my local rivers and keep an eye out for the carp. They are everywhere these days, having escaped from the many carp lakes found in the valleys during times of flood. A hot sunny day is often best as it brings them to the surface to bask. When some are located I return and fish for them in the cool of the evening. I find bread or paste made from pellets to be a perfect bait for a bit of opportunist carping like this.

I only ever fish a simple running ledger on one rod at a time and use a heavy barbel rod with a quiver tip. I much prefer this style of fishing to dozing behind buzzers and bolt rigs. It keeps you on your toes and you have to concentrate. When the bite comes there is no mistaking it, the tip usually hammers right round.

Strong line and a steely nerve are essential for this kind of fishing. You can't give the fish any line, especially in the small overgrown rivers I fish. It's hit and hold fishing at it's best, it really gets the heart going. 

The battles are always epic, these river carp are strong beyond belief. It really is a very exciting branch of our sport. The hard part is doing your research and locating the fish first. If you can find them, you can usually catch them. Give it a try......

No comments:

Post a Comment