Monday 17 July 2017

Fly Fishing on the Little Dart River - June 2017

The Little Dart River
















I spent a week in North Devon just recently, taking my Gran on her annual fishing holiday (as can be seen in the post below this). The place we stayed was way out in the sticks and I did a little research before we went to see what fishing was available locally, other than in the lake where we were staying.

A quick root around the net with google revealed that there were lots of lovely looking streams and rivers nearby. There was some good fishing for wild brown trout very close and a little further afield on the Rivers Taw and Yeo, the chance of salmon and seatrout when conditions are right. Which they weren't!

The bare essentials for a spot of dry fly fishing















Closer investigation revealed that the Little Dart River was literally minutes from our cottage and was fishable on a day ticket with the 'South West Rivers Trust' for less than a tenner. Wonderful news! With plenty of gorgeous little brownies to have a go at it was perfect for me to sneak out while my Gran was having her afternoon siesta.

I packed a #5wt fly rod, floating line, some leader material and a few flies - including a couple tied for me personally by my buddy Adam at Wet Your Knot - Fly Fishing. With my waders and fly fishing vest I was good to go.

Wild North Devon Brown Trout - Perfection!

















For me it's all about fishing the dry fly for these little trout and that smash when they hit the fly. Such a visual form of fishing, it's tough to top. The river was painfully low due to a lack of rain which made things difficult. The utmost stealth was required at all times as a heavy foot fall or a shadow cast would send the trout darting for cover.

It was hard fishing I have to say, but rewarding whenever a fish was raised. I averaged a fish or two each time I went out. They were all perfect brown trout in miniature with biggest going around 10 or 11 inches at a guess. 
















I even managed to temp my first Chub on a dry fly too which was a pleasant surprise and another first.....that's what I love about fishing, 35 years down the line and it's still possible to achieve a 'first'. Such is the variety of our fantastic sport.

My first Chub on s dry fly
















Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment