Friday 12 January 2018

Autumn Bass Fishing 2017

Best of the autumn just shy of 7lb


I've always enjoyed fishing for bass, they are just awesome fish. In recent years, I've mostly concentrated on fishing for them with lures and flies when the water has a bit of visibility and the Sussex pea soup eases off a little. Most often from a boat too.

This year I decided to dust off the bait rod, slip into my waders and get back in the surf after them. It was one of the best decisions I made. I've enjoyed my autumnal fishing so much and really got the bass bug back.......so much so that I thought of little else between September and early December. They'll do that to you will the bass.


When the wind's howling and the surf is up there really is no better place to be than on a windswept beach soaking a big bait. I didn't realise how much I'd missed it, there's just something about it. The last time I dedicated some serious time to fishing the surf for bass was back in 2009/10 and 11 which culminated in a night where I manged an 8lb fish and a double in consecutive casts. After that I took a break from it all. I figured my work was done.

But here I am scratching the itch once again.....and thoroughly enjoying it. The pounding waves, the spray in your face, the solitude of it all. I love it. It's not for everyone, that much is true, but it's exhilarating being out there in the elements. Makes you feel alive.


Big squid and mackerel baits fished literally under my feet, no more than 15 yards out are all that's required. A small bucket with a few bits of end tackle, your bait and essentials makes for nice, simple fishing. I do enjoy fishing with the minimum of gear. It's always ready to go too, the buckets in the garage and the bait in the freezer. It's easy to head out after dinner of an evening if conditions are right.


It's meditative in the way you're feeling for the bites, poised, concentrating, waiting for that pull with a clear mind.....and when it comes, it's electric. Wham! There's no feeling like it.


The fish don't need to be big either. Once they're over 3 pounds they start to get interesting and don't really deserve to be called 'schoolies' any more. There's always the chance of a proper beast turning up too, that's what keeps me coming back for more.


I was fortunate catching a good number of fish this autumn, to a best just shy of 7 lbs. But it's not about the sizes.....It's about getting out there and doing it, experiencing the moments and immersing yourself in the natural world. The tug is the drug!

No comments:

Post a Comment