Saturday 25 May 2019

Personal Best Bass - 14 lb 4 oz - UK 2018

14 lb 4 oz of stunning Sussex Silver
















This fish was a long time in coming and undoubtedly a 'fish of a lifetime' for me. As much as I travel and fish all over, there's something very special about the Bass and whenever I'm home I just can't help but fish for them. It's addictive and its not easy. I very much doubt I'll ever beat this, especially from the shore! 

Last season, I ended up with some respectable fish to around 7 lb from the shore and a run of 9 blanks in a row to finish the season in late November. I was fishing a local mark I had a gut feeling about. I just knew it was going to produce a decent fish at some point, everything about it screamed bass......but 9 blanks in a row!!! That was tough.














Anyway, it was a long cold winter and I didnt fish for bass again until July of 2018 and that was from my kayak. The summer was long and hot with clear seas and calm waters. Perfect for the kayak in fact. 
















I managed a few really nice fish on the lures through the summer and thoroughly enjoyed being on the water. It was a great way to avoid the crowds along the Sussex beaches. A good summer is a nightmare for the shore angler where I live near Brighton......far too many people!


















The weather finally broke in September and we had our first proper blow and autumnal storm of the year on the 11th of the month. I grabbed my bait rod and headed straight to my mark, it was perfect conditions too. 


I was fishing with my buddy Mick, we felt optimistic as everything looked so good. There's something special about a good blow after a long, sultry summer. My instinct proved correct and the location choice was spot on as my first bite produced the stunning bar of silver pictured at the top and another 4 smaller fish between us. We even lost a few also. The fishing was on fire. 

Still have to pinch myself now every time I look at the photo!

FOR BASS ACTION CLICK BELOW:


No comments:

Post a Comment